Having Tough Conversations
Are you ready to start having those tough conversations as a leader? Or are you still trying to avoid the conflict that comes with them? As a leader, you must learn to be courageous enough to have tough conversations that are of much interest to an organization’s operations.
They also discuss why many leaders avoid tough conversations because they view them as conflict and how you can change your perspective. Listen in to learn why avoiding tough conversations is costing you more than not having them.
What You Will Learn:
- [2:09] Tough conversations – a leader’s ability to have the courage to say what needs to be said.
- [5:09] The different reasons why people/leaders avoid having tough conversations.
- [6:56] How different personality profiles handle difficult conversations and conflicts.
- [11:14] Why not having those tough conversations is more costly than having them.
- [19:25] The cost of not having tough conversations and how that can negatively affect your business.
- [24:41] The problem in many industries where incompetence is elevated instead of being addressed.
- [31:05] Principles to understand when approaching tough conversations as a leader.
- [34:21] The importance of self-management and emotional intelligence before approaching tough conversation.
- “A tough conversation in leadership is about a leader’s ability to say what needs to be said.”– Christy [3:30]
- “People are afraid of conflict and so it’s easier not to have those conversations than to have them.”– David [5:25]
- “The cost of not having the conversation is greater than the cost of not having the conversation.”– David [11:30]
Possible Actions to Take
- Be courageous enough to have tough conversations early to avoid multiplying the problem with time.
- Have a relationship with your team members, so you are more approachable and human when having those conversations.
- Lead with compassion to understand both your responsibility and that of your team members before having these tough conversations.
Book Mentioned: Crucial Conversations
Connect with Us:
- Innovative Leader: innovativeleader.co
- Christy Geiger: https://synergystrategies.com
David Phillips: https://wdavidphillips.com/