Leading with Emotional Intelligence
How do you understand emotional intelligence as a leader? Have you embraced it as a critical part of your 4.0 leadership? In this episode, Christy and David talk about the importance of emotional intelligence in leadership and how it improves communication effectiveness.
They explain why soft skills that make up emotional intelligence are way more critical than hard skills when hiring in an organization.
Christy and David explain why the higher you go in leadership the more you need to strengthen your emotional intelligence to lead successfully. Listen in to learn how to change your mindset and grow your emotional intelligence skills and much more!
What You Will Learn:
- [0:23] The meaning of emotional intelligence and its importance in leadership
- [4:43] How to improve your effectiveness in the way you show up through emotional intelligence
- [11:57] The many ways that emotional intelligence is powerful in 4.0 leadership
- [16:59] Some of the miscommunications about emotional intelligence
- [22:21] How everything else in the 4.0 leadership is connected with emotional intelligence
- [27:00] Why you should be looking for emotional intelligence skills over hard skills
- [29:47] How emotional intelligence answers some still existing tactical transactional 2.0 problems
- [35:57] How to first lead yourself to have the ability to lead others
- [45:49] How to develop a growth mindset to continue growing your emotional intelligence for the better
- “Emotional-social intelligence is a cross-section of interrelated emotional and social competencies, skills, and facilitators that determine how effectively we understand and express ourselves, understand others and relate with them, and cope with daily demands.” Reuven Bar-On, 2005
- “The decisions we make are largely a reflection of the emotions that we’re feeling in various states in our lives.”– David [3:52]
- “Productivity will not matter if the heart is not there.”– Christy [12:59]
- “You as an employee are going to perform much better when the totality of who you are is taken into consideration rather than just your task list.”– David [20:56]
- “The more you move into leadership, the more emotional intelligence competencies you need to have.”– Christy [29:58]
- “To build your emotional intelligence, you have to first have the ability to recognize where you’re at and then go from there.”– Christy [44:54]
Possible Actions to Take
- Understand your emotions first as the leader to have the ability to lead others.
- Change your mindset from fixed to growth and learn what you can improve in emotional intelligence.
- What you do matters more than your intentions.
- MHS Assessments
- Freakonomics Podcast
- Seth Godin Podcast
- Carol Dweck – Book Mindset
- The EQ Leader by Stephen Stine
- Mood Meter App
Connect with Us:
- Innovative Leader: www.innovativeleader.co
- Christy Geiger: https://synergystrategies.com
- David Phillips: https://wdavidphillips.com/